Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hard to compete with that…



Hello from Surfside, Texas . We are here on vacation this week, which implies that I will be doing a lot of relaxing and having fun. Haha. In the words of the great Lee Corso, “Not so fast my friend.”

We are renting a different beach house this year than we usually do, and it has one television and no ESPN. And ten minutes into swimming, my oldest daughter was stung by a jellyfish. So yeah, it might be a long week.

Tell you what, though. It is kinda nice to sit on the beach and just stare at nothing for a while. I was in the middle of doing that earlier when I started thinking about my nephew and his new bride, who are celebrating their honeymoon on another beach a few thousand miles away right now.

It was a beautiful wedding, with everything going without a hitch. And it lasted about twenty minutes, which is unheard of these days. Every other wedding I’ve been to lately is an all day event.

My nephew cried as the bride’s father walked her down the isle. I’m sure his buddies will poke him in the ribs a little for that, but I won’t. I did the same thing thirteen years ago at my own wedding. You’ve somehow convinced the girl of your dreams to spend the rest of her life with you- if that doesn’t make you a little emotional, something is wrong.

I’ll tell you what I will have a few words with him about, though. In fact, I’m thinking of putting a bag of sugar in his gas tank the next time I see him. He wrote a song for their first dance at the reception. It detailed their time together, from when they first met all the way into the future when they have children. It was one of the most romantic things I’ve ever witnessed, and every married man there wanted to beat him with a tube sock full of batteries.

Have you any idea what kind of pressure that put the rest of us married guys under? We can’t compete with that. Every wife in there turned to their husbands and scolded them for never writing a song about them. As a married man, how was I supposed to follow that up? “Um, baby, want another jello shot? This one’s blue.”

Luckily, we had this vacation planned right after the wedding. So while everyone else’s wife had to go back to work this week, my wife gets to sit on the beach and watch me run into the ocean wearing a tiny speedo. That outta make her fall in love with me all over again. Heck, she might even write a song about me.



Love the column? Hate the column? Have an idea for a new column? Go to http://robconews.com/ or http://shannonscasta.blogspot.com/ and leave a comment or suggestion.

2 comments:

  1. Come see us before you leave...at the green beach house "Sunny Beaches" across from the Purple Cow. We are going to lunch at the Red Snapper, but I don't know what time. What is the name of the beach house you are staying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speedos and jellyfish... you might want to rethink that =D

    ReplyDelete