Thursday, September 8, 2011

Letter to My Wife



Thirteen years ago, I married my best friend. I know that’s an old, silly, cliché thing to say, but it’s true. There are very few people in this world that I need to talk to on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, you’re the only one I can think of.

Some days, I’m at work before you even wake up for the day. But even then, my day doesn’t start until I at least get a text from you saying good morning.

I’ll never forget the day I proposed to you. We’d been broken up for a while, and things were going downhill for me pretty fast. One Friday morning I woke up late for work with a hangover, and on the way to work my truck broke down. I said to myself, “You know, my life just seemed to go better when I was with her.” An hour later, I wrote a little note asking you to marry me.

And thirteen years later, it still seems like it was the right thing to do. I’m sure we both know where and what I would be right now if it weren’t for you. So I wanted to say thank you.

Thank you for those three gorgeous, healthy children that I act like I can’t stand to be around sometimes. Other than being a little too spoiled for my taste, they are perfect. Thank you for giving me a family, and a reason to be a responsible adult.

Thank you for running the household when I was off working out of town, or spending way too many hours at one job or another instead of at home helping you change diapers, clean house, cook supper or do homework.

Thank you for understanding when I’ve slept on the couch every Monday night for the past twelve years in order to write the sports section, or being patient with me when I put our lives into this silly column every week. Even as our vehicles were being egged and firecrackers were being set off on our front porch, you’ve never asked me to stop writing what I felt.

And God knows it hasn’t been easy. I’m not the sweetest or friendliest person to be around, especially when times get tough. I gripe when family visits. I complain when friends visit. I get mad when the phone rings. I’m sure at times it feels like you’re living with a cranky old man who is never satisfied with anything.

But over the past thirteen years you’ve made me realize that tough times surrounded by family and friends beats the Hell out of tough times all by yourself. And I know that without you and the things you bring to the table, some of the tough times over the years would have won.

I guess what I’m trying to say with all this yapping I’m doing is this- thank you for making the past thirteen years my best thirteen years.

Now, I’m well aware that nobody hates romance or public displays of affection more than you do, so I know I’m going to be in trouble when this hits the newspaper.

Like I tell our kids, some things are worth getting in trouble for. Happy Anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment