Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Can’t go wrong with tiger print



Well we made it back from the lake, with everyone and everything still intact. Actually, it turned out to be a little easier to drive, maneuver, and set up the travel trailer than I thought. In fact, I’d have to say it was quicker and easier than putting up a tent. Of course, it’d be great if I didn’t have to drop light-bill-type money on gas whenever we took it out.

The only problem I had with taking the travel trailer out was this- I’ve now moved into the age bracket that enjoys RVing. I paid attention all weekend long, and everyone I saw was either under the age of 16 or over the age of 45. There were no cool twenty-somethings there. The sting of that realization was up there with the pain of a pretty girl calling you “sir” and your son blowing by you on the basketball court.

The funniest part of the weekend came when an old man two campsights down came outside in a Speedo. A very, very small Speedo. And he felt very comfortable wearing it all weekend long, much to my kids’ horror. They shrieked and ewwed every time he came outside. And that was just the green one. You should have heard them scream when he broke out the tiger-print Speedo on Sunday.

Anyway, I’ve decided to embrace my aging process. Instead of eating fast food Monday, I stopped and had lunch at Luby’s with all the other old people. I love the food there, and there are so many options to choose from. My only problem is I feel like I’m holding up the line while I’m deciding.

In fact, one old lady let me know I was waisting her time. She kept elbowing me and hitting my tray with her tray, like I was keeping her from watching an episode of “Murder, She Wrote” or something. I wanted to point out to her that nobody nudged her while she drove the last 17 miles with her dang blinker on at 40 mph. But instead I just let it slide. Call it part of getting older and more mellow.

Back to the RVing. We really enjoyed it and plan to take it out more, when we can. We’ve decided to keep to the state parks as much as possible, because they are a little more strict on the drinking and things like that. Folks will always drink, of course, but it seems a little more subdued at the state parks. And a little more quieter.

We’ve revamped our list of things we need to take with us, also. For instance, this last time we forgot to take bicycles for the kids. They were bored a good bit of the time. We need to put a fan or two in there, some books or something, and for God’s sake, a coffee pot. If I’m going to wake up with three kids and a wife bouncing around all happy and chirpy like, then I’m going to need a pretty big cup of strong coffee. Or three.

And finally, we can’t forget to pack the jewel of every fun-filled RVing weekend from here on out… my own tiger-print Speedo.



Love the column? Hate the column? Have an idea for a new column? Go to http://robconews.com/ or http://shannonscasta.blogspot.com/ and leave a comment or suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment