Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cabin Fever

Boy, do I have a pretty bad case of cabin fever. With football season over and nothing to watch on t.v. all weekend, I start thinking too much.

I start examining where I am in life, where I want to be, where I want my children to be, etc. Before I know it I’m remembering all the time, money and friendships that I’ve wasted over the years.

I know, I know. I need a hobby.

I’ve got to get back to running again. I hate running. Can’t stand it. In fact, I don’t like anything remotely close to exercise. But I’m getting older and more out of shape by the minute, and I’ve got to do something.

Two or three years ago, I got to where I was running up at the track a few nights a week. Actually started feeling pretty good, too.

Well, maybe it wasn’t so much running as it was jogging. And it wasn’t a marathon or anything, just four or five times around the track whenever I could.

Okay, it wasn’t so much jogging as it was half speed-walking/half stumbling forward in a big circle. But the fact is, I did feel better after a few weeks of doing it.

Anyway, I’ve got to get back to it as soon as it warms up a little outside. And no, that’s not just an excuse I’m using. I know that technically I could start running now, but the cold air feels like someone is stabbing you in the lungs every time you breathe heavy. Besides, it’s been documented several times how much I hate the cold weather.

And running, I mean jog-, I mean moving around the track isn’t the only thing the cold weather is keeping me from doing. There is a whole list of things that I can’t do until it warms up.

I want to get some work done out in the flowerbeds, but I’m not sure if another freeze is coming or not.

We have one of those fancy sprinkler systems already down in our yard, and I want to see what it will take to get working again, if anything at all. But who wants to work with water when it’s this cold out?

The cemetery that two of my buddies and I take care of needs a lot of work. I mean a lot of work. But see, it’s up on a hill, the wind blows pretty hard, and there’s just no way to stay warm up there.

I’ve been wanting to replace that stupid sliding glass door from the ‘60s with a set of French doors, but I’m not sure how long it’s going to take me to figure out how to put the new doors in. I can just hear my wife fussing when it’s 36 degrees outside and I’m using a tarp to cover up a huge hole in our back wall.

I’m ready to take the top down on my jeep, go ride 4-wheelers with my son, and do a little camping and fishing with the family. But I can’t do any of that with this stupid cold weather.

I guess the only thing left to do is to sit here inside and think of an excuse to put off running once it turns warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment